Thursday, January 19, 2006

An encounter with Veena..

Today I went to one of my old friend's place.. After going thru the routine rituals like catching up news n having lunch, we gave our backs a rest.. Then the goddess of sleep found me somehow.. to keep her away I asked my frnd to play sth on her veena.. My friend has been learning Classical music right from her first standard n has given quite a numbr of veena performances.. Still she was reluctant coz she hasnot touched her veena for more than 2 months.. After assuring that I m the dumbest abt music and wont notice any difference even if she mixed two completely different songs, she agreed ..lol.. n she tried few raagas n geetas.. After every bit she played she tried to get my opinion abt how the song was.. I, the 'lazy bones', dreamily nodded my head, as I found nothing significant in those.. Every sound was the same to my thick eardrum.. My poor friend tried to enlighten me by teaching me the basics..

Sa Re Ga Ma Pa Da Ni Sa..
Sa Ni Da Pa Ma Ga Re Sa
..

It was fine as long as she sung them along with me.. The moment I had to do it alone, I mixed up everything mercilessly n went on in a monotonous voice showing no discrimination betwn them.. Poor Sravi ! I can understand ur pain when u had to listen to the bloodless murder of the tunes..

Then on the way home she had a sudden brain wave to take me to her veena class once.. This time it was my turn to be reluctant.. What can I say?.. I cannot even perceive different sounds properly (no no.. I m not deaf.. but jus cant strain my ears to comprehend such delicate stuff..lol) .. N the veena class is for more than an hr.. I told her that I ll be bored to death.. My friend was persistent n I finally gave up..
I assumed the veena teacher to have the stern look on her face n was half expecting her to say, "Why the hell did u come here, U ignorant moron.. Get Outttttttttttttt".. but lucky me.. I found a sweet lady with an equally sweet smile.. I took an instant liking to her n boldly went inside..
We were made to sit on the floor n then the class started..

How the next hour passed, I did not know.. The trained ears of the teacher correcting every small sound that was out of tune.. I sat there watching in awe..
The teacher n the student were lost in their own world totally unconscious about the happenings around and their veenas, locked in unision, singing to their content .. What a wonderful sight.. N I, who never really regretted my ignorance of music, was touched.. How I wish I could master those ragas.. *sigh*

n then?.. nth happened.. I came back home.. writing to u now :) .. n abt to say 'shall catch u later'..

until then,
Spoorthy.

p.s:: Those of u who have started worrying already can breath easily now.. I havent taken any resolution to learn music yet.. but mind u.. I may take it anytime :D

4 comments:

mera_apna said...

to keep me away...u asked me to play veena.. [X-(]....
anyways...i am very happy to have given u such an experience...

Chaits said...

that reminds me of my Guitar classes back in my engineering... i started learning Guitar on my own interest,goin on quite well,but as three months passed,dunno whose evil eye had its sight...(nevermind,itz just my dumb trial 4 an expression),i had to quit...not 'coz i lost interest,but coz T2 wz nearing...(thtz my nickname 4 exams [;)])

Spoorthy said...

@sravi
thanks once again sweety..

@chaits
atleast u attended it for 3 months.. thats an accomplishement itself..lol
never went back after ur T2?

Chaits said...

i lacked something this time after T2...some "spoorthy" for this lazy-bones, to get back...[;)]!